Pirates & Witches of Wellfleet
Whydah Capt. Sam Bellamy makes his return
Hike to the site that Samuel Smith's Tavern, a pirates' pub, once stood
Great Island Wellfleet
Join actor-writer-historian Sam Wood as he leads you to the spot where Samuel Smith’s Tavern (1690-1740)—a pirates’ pub—was located on Great Island in Wellfleet. Hear about the lives of the Prince of Pirates, Capt. “Black Sam” Bellamy (1689-1717), whose crew “took ships without harm,” and his love Goody Hallett, an outsider who the villagers called the Witch of Wellfleet.
Walking & time: Nearly 4 miles and around 2 hours
Terrain: Mostly soft sand; some log steps; some parts are submerged at high tide; hats, sturdy footgear and drinking water are advised.
Ages: All ages, though please note the walking distance
Pets: We are sorry, the Cape Cod National Seashore does not allow dogs this deep into the property.
About Sam Wood
Outer Cape native Sam Wood, formerly a regular actor at Wellfleet Harbor Actors Theater, has a BA in theater from Bennington College. A writer, director, actor and musician, he is fascinated by the legend of Bellamy and his life. Sam has worked and done research for the Pilgrim Monument and Provincetown Museum and community radio station WOMR-FM 92.1, on which he hosted an old timey radio show. He sings, plays guitar and writes songs.
- Guide Gratuity $0.00
Corner of Griffin Island and Chequessett Neck Road. From Route 6, follow green signs to Wellfleet Center; turn left onto East Commercial Street (follow signs to Wellfleet Harbor); continue along the shoreline from town pier via Chequessett Neck Road to the free Great Island parking area. (Keep water view on left after leaving Route 6.) Meet in the parking lot; take a left after the street parking. Guide will be in an orange shirt. Gratuities are appreciated.